If you are moving home and buying or selling residential property, we would be happy to act for you. We pride ourselves on our personal and practical approach to residential conveyancing. We offer fixed fee conveyancing with no hidden costs. Our fixed fees cover all our fees for acting for you from the beginning of the transaction to the end of the transaction. They are detailed below:
- For a freehold purchase, our fixed fee is £815 plus VAT plus disbursements;
- For a leasehold purchase, our fixed fee is £845 plus VAT plus disbursements;
- For a freehold sale, our fixed fee is £795 plus VAT plus disbursements;
- For a leasehold sale, our fixed fee is £825 plus VAT plus disbursements.
- We charge £20 plus VAT for implementing a same day bank CHAPS transfer.
What are disbursements?
Disbursements are fees payable to third parties as part of your transaction.
Disbursements you are likely to pay are as follows:
- Our bank charges us a same day CHAPS fee of £15 per CHAPS payment. If you are buying and selling a property and the property you are selling has a mortgage to be redeemed on the same day, you will probably have 2 or 3 CHAPS fees to pay.
- When selling a property, we will need to download your title deeds from the land registry. Each document costs £3. You should budget for £6 for a freehold sale (to cover your freehold title register and plan) and £18 for a leasehold sale (to cover freehold and leasehold title deeds and official copy lease).
- When purchasing a property, you should budget for a local authority searches, water and drainage search and an environmental search. These fees may vary depending on the local authority and water service provider. We use a search provider and fees for Brighton and Hove searches are £100 for a local authority search, £56 for a water search from Southern Water, £58.80 for an environmental search. Depending on where you are buying, we might recommend other searches as well.
- Stamp duty is payable based on the amount of consideration paid and depending on your personal circumstances different rates apply. Check the HMRC stamp duty calculator here: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/intro
- When you buy a property, we protect your position at the land registry by carrying out a priority search in between exchange and completion. This prevents anyone else registering anything at the land registry before the transfer has been registered. This is called an OS1 search and costs £3. The land registry fee is also on a sliding scale depending on the value of the property being transferred. You can check out the land registry fee calculator here: http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/fees-calculator.html
- When you buy a leasehold property, you will probably have to pay freeholder’s fees for them to deal with the administrative duties of registering you as a new owner. We do not know what these fees are until we have heard from the freeholder or managing agent, but we recommend you budget for £90.
- If you are selling a leasehold property, and your property is managed by a managing agent, you are likely to have to pay for the managing agents pack prepared for the new buyer. We do not know what these fees are until we have heard from your managing agent, but we recommend you budget for £300. You may also have to pay additional freeholder’s costs or their legal fees for dealing with the transaction.
- Sometimes indemnity insurance policies are required for missing documentation or defects in the title or breaches of covenants. We will obtain quotes for you depending on your situation.
If you would like us to provide you with a quote tailored to your personal circumstances, please do contact us.
Many people die without making a Will because they were concerned that the procedure would be complicated and costly. At Hennings, we try to address both these concerns by offering a fixed fee Will service with plain speaking advice.
Making a Will means that you can specify your wishes and plans for what you would like to happen after your death, making the process easier for your family. You will be able to choose and appoint the person or people to be the executor of your Will, make specific gifts to your chosen beneficiaries, specify your funeral wishes, appoint guardians of any children, and set up a trust if necessary.
We will take care to document your wishes by asking you to complete a questionnaire, attend a face to face meeting at a time and place convenient to you and have an opportunity to review the draft Will before signing. We also store Wills in our deeds storage at no additional cost.
Our fixed fee to draft a standard Will is £175 plus VAT. If you are in a couple and would both like to make a standard Will with mirrored terms, we offer a discounted fixed fee of £300 plus VAT for two Wills. Please contact us if you would like to discuss making a Will.